In order to bring you different, cultural and memorable experiences, on our beautiful island, we invite you to explore
the multiple benefits of the traditional sweat bath; the practice
of "Temazcal" according to the Mayan vision. Preserved through
centuries, to be shared with you.
The word “Temazcal” is derived from the ancient Aztec dialect (Nahuatl) meaning “house of steam”. (Temaz - Steam and
Calli - House).
Cozumel island, for centuries, was a sacred Mayan site, considered to be the shrine to Ix Chel, the Mayan goddess of the moon, fertility and childbirth. All Mayan women were
required to make a pilgrimage to the sanctuary to pay homage, at least once in their lifetime.
Therefore, Cozumel Island is the perfect place to live the experience of this ancient medicine and healing wheel, as the Temazcal, is very closely related to fertility and maternity.
So, this activity is only for women? Definitely No. Men will also benefit from the Temazcal. It comes to modern times, as purification, relaxing and cleansing therapy for the nervous system and promotes reactivation of skin cells. The elimination of fat and stimulation of the blood vessels is activated in the bath, bringing also beneficial effects to the respiratory, circulatory and digestive systems.
You will be led through the various phases of the process, from the recognition of North, East, South and West and their significance to the Mayans with the smudging ceremony. Then you will get into the temazcal, where you will experience the four phases of cleansing and the five points of visualizations. After one hour in the temazcal you will emerge reborn and rejuvenated.
As part of the cooling down process, you are invited to bath in the fresh water cenote only a few steps from the temazcal or rinse off in a freshwater shower.
Then feel free to relax in a hammock while enjoying the fresh fruits and juices which are grown and harvested on the Xkan-Ha Reserve.
As a departing gift each guest will be given a glyph as a necklace indicating the participant’s birthday according to the Mayan calendar.
On this excursion you will:
- Arrive to Xkan Ha reserve, in the middle of the jungle, where you will be welcome to lay down in one of our hammocks to:
- Get a detailed explanation about the history and differences of the different sweat baths and off course the Temazcal. The vast uses and purposes as an ancient medicine practice. Its significance to the Mayans. The close relationship between the Temazcal and the Mayan calendar, etc.
- Participate in the four elements and smudging ceremony.
- Enter into the Temazcal sweat bath, where we will remain for about one hour, controlling and increasing the temperature slowly.
- Jump into the cenote (natural sink hole fresh water) to cool down the body temperature, constrain the blood vessel, close pores, etc.
- Enjoy our fresh juices and fruits as part of the re hydration and recovering of minerals.
- Receive your Xkan-Ha souvenir. A necklace with your Mayan glyph and energetic signature, by decoding your birth date according to the Mayan calendar.
- Sleep as a baby during that night, and hopefully be a new person.
Bring with you:
Comfortable dry clothes
Use of make up, sun screen or products that block the sweating.
Alcohol beverages and / or heavy meals one hour before the Temazcal.
Monday to Saturday
Round transportation (hotel/pier – temazcal – hotel/pier), full explanation about the temazcal practice according to the mayan vision, four elements and smudging Ceremony, Temazcal bath, cenote, facilities, purified drinking water, fruit and juice (after the bath) and mayan gliph with energetic signature (participant´s birthdate decoded with the mayan calendar).
No photographers or craft vendors will show up.
$80.00 USD per person.
Pregnant, people under alcohol or drugs effect, people with cardiac problems.
Minimum age 14 years.